Williams, Edward C. (Harrisburg, PA)

Edward C. Williams   see: Clyde & Williams

Bookbinder and Retail Merchant

Harrisburg

Pennsylvania 1.

  1. b, 1829, d. 1900, "A Veteran of  both the Mexican and the Civil Wars,
    Williams attained the ranks of  Colonel and Brigadier General respectively .
    "Edward C. Williams Family Papers. Pennsylvania Historical & Museum
    Commission, Civil War Holdings.

  2. The following information was accompanying an image that was offered to the
    museum. The source is unknown and hence uncredited.  "EDWARD CHARLES WILLIAMS,
    son of Charles and Rebecca (Adams) Williams, was born February 10,1820, in the
    city of Philadelphia. His father was a native of Philadelphia; his mother, of
    Mount Holly, N. J. The son learned the trade of a bookbinder with Jacob
    Snyder, completing it with Robert P. Desilver. He shortly after came to
    Harrisburg, where he established himself in business, firm of Clyde &
    Williams, bookbinders and stationers. For several years they did the State
    binding and also published several important works. In December, 1846, upon
    the call for volunteers for the war with Mexico, Mr. Williams raised a company
    called the Cameron Guards, which were accepted and formed a part of the Second
    Pennsylvania regiment. Previous to going to Mexico he had been connected
    several years with the old Dauphin Guards, one of the finest military
    organizations in the State, and was in service during the Philadelphia riots
    of 1844. Upon Captain Williams' return from Mexico he was elected as an
    Independent, in 1850, to the office of sheriff of Dauphin county, serving the
    full term. When the Rebellion broke out and a demand was made for more troops,
    Governor Curtin sent for General Williams, who had been commissioned several
    years prior brigadier general of the Dauphin county militia, and at once
    directed the organization of Camp Curtin. After organizing Camp Curtin, he
    organized Camp Slifer, at Chambersburg. He commanded a brigade during the
    three months' service, was with Patterson in the Shenandoah, and subsequently
    mustered out at Washington city. He was then appointed by President Lincoln,
    through Secretary of War Cameron, colonel of the Lochiel  cavalry, directed to
    raise twenty-four companies of that branch of the service, which he
    accomplished in a very short time. It was difficult to handle three battalions
    of raw cavalry, but by hard work General Williams got his command into
    splendid discipline and drill. He went into camp at Jeffersonville, Ind.,
    where he exchanged his Pennsylvania horses for good Kentucky stock. After
    inspection by General Buford, he was ordered to the front under General Buell.
    On reaching Green River, and when ready to cross the stream, General Williams
    was directed to take the advance, but the same evening the news of the capture
    of Fort Donelson obviating that movement, he was ordered back, and his command
    cut up and distributed over Kentucky and Tennessee. His own regiment, the
    Ninth cavalry, became very popular in that section with all classes of people,
    owing to their good discipline and behavior. General Williams was at Henderson
    with his regiment when Buell and Bragg made their march into Kentucky, was
    ordered to Louisville without delay, and from thence to Crab Orchard, where he
    prevented Kirby Smith's cavalry from entering Kentucky at that point. Owing,
    however, to a question of rank, in which not only he but the other officers in
    the volunteer service were concerned, he pre-emptorily resigned and returned
    to Pennsylvania. He was twice married; first, January 16, 1843, to Selina,
    daughter of John Heltzel, of Harrisburg; second, June 5, 1873, at Chapman,
    Pa., to Mrs. A. E. Hetzel".

Back to list