Clyde & Williams (Harrisburg, PA)

williams.jpgClyde* & Co.

Bookbinder and Stationers

Walnut street corner of Third

Harrisburg

Pennsylvania 1.

  • John Joseph Clyde b. Dec. 14,1813. Started a business in Brownsville in Fayette county Pa.. Returned to Harrisburg in 1840 and purchased the bindery of Samuel H. Clark and add a Bookstore. J. M. Runk & Co Biographical Encyclopedia of Daupin County, pg. 337-8.

Edward Charles Williams ( b. 1820 d. 1900) learned bookbinding from Jacob
Snyder and Robert P. Desilver. Moved to Harrisburg and, in 1846, established
Clyde & Williams. Veteran of both the Mexican and Civil Wars and attained the
ranks of Colonel and Brigadier General respectively. Pennsylvania State
Archive, Edward C. Williams Family Papers 1848-1923, 1 cu. 24 items includes
business records .

  1. Clyde & Co. . 1842 Harrisburg City Directory. Univ, of Delaware digital
    street directories. Same listing in the 1843. Univ, of Delaware digital street
    directories.

  2. Clyde & Williams, ( J. J. Clyde , bookbinder is now listed on Cranberry
    Alley corner of Third.) 1845, Harrisburg City Directory. Univ, of Delaware
    digital street directories. note: Williams probably came to Clyde after
    working at Williams & Snyder. see: Williams and Snyder)


Back to list